Re: Overwrite existing partition with zeros without hurting partition table? (Debian Lenny)

On 2010-03-05 17:36, Mark wrote:
On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 3:23 PM, Thierry Chatelet <tchatelet@free.fr> wrote:

"If" I understand your question correctly;  you want to keep your 200 Gb
and
do a new install.First question: are those 200 gb on a separated
partition? If
no, then you should save the music on a external drive, or create a
partition
to put it on. Then during the new install choose manual partitioning and
go
on.

Currently I have 180 of the 200 GB partitioned containing music, pictures,
etc. and an old OS installation on the hda2 partition.  I'd like to keep the
180 gb partition in-tact, not damage the partition table, and fill the 20 gb
hda2 partition with zeros so I can install Lenny.

"Simply" install (using expert mode) onto the relevant partition. During installation, you'll have an opportunity to mkfs each of the partitions. Skip the "data" partition, but then tell the installer to mount that partition as "/data" (or whatever).

Just make sure you first have a backup copy!

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

"If God had wanted man to play soccer, he wouldn't have given
us arms."  Mike Ditka