Re: wrong resolution with ATI and open source drivers

With Squeeze things "just worked". First performance was abysmal,
dragging a window caused it to redraw it frame by frame.
After enabling non-free and installing firmware-linux-nonfree that was
fixed too. As I said before fglrx does work too but I wanted to find out why
the free drivers aren't working.

Thanks for all the replies so far.  I think we can file this away as it's solved
in squeeze. Now the remaining question is what I should do till squeeze
becomes stable. As long as it's more stable and secure than the other distros
that work with my hardware I'm confident.