Re: wrong resolution with ATI and open source drivers

On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 15:51:06 -0500 (EST), George Sullivan wrote:
> New Screen section looks like:
> Section "Screen"
>         Identifier      "Default Screen"
>         Device          "Configured Video Device"
>         Monitor         "Configured Monitor"
> EndSection
>
> Same results. xorg won't start and I get the Fatal server error.

See http://www.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/tp600.htm#ConfigX for an
example of a working /etc/X11/xorg.conf file in Lenny.
Don't copy it verbatim, of course, since there are differences.
For one thing, your driver is radeon and mine is neomagic.
I'd delete the chipset line and let it autodetect the chipset.
And the busid is probably different too.  Delete that.
The screen section has other stuff in it too.  Based on the
amount of video RAM you have, set the default depth and
define the resolutions you want to be able to use.