Re: Limited X setup

On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 02:24:05PM -0800, joseph lockhart wrote:
> Hello, been a while since I posted, working on setting up a partition which will run mainly console programs, however, I was interested in setting up X to run a few programs (or maybe the framebuffer) a quick search of the web yielded no help. Any suggestions on where to look.
>
> Running lenny from netinstall with some console added already but no graphics yet. Also I have no interest in a GUI for this project.
>
> jwlockhart
>
> Registered Linux User #458799
> this user is penguin powered

Is this a request for how to run X alone or how to get away from
library-heavy, big desktop environments?

There are plenty of lightweight window managers available in Debian repos
that'll drag in lots of X without lots of desktop libraries.

Openbox has almost become my own version of a desktop at this point.  Fast,
CLI oriented environment with lots of window management and X ability when
needed, configured to taste over the years.  My GRUB menu selects runlevels
configured to 1.) boot directly into CLI with screen, 2.) run .xinit with
Openbox or 3.) run GDM with Gnome.

An overview of the spectrum:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_X_Window_System_desktop_environments

--