Re: Single root filesystem evilness decreasing in 2010? (on workstations)

thib put forth on 2/28/2010 1:13 PM:
> [Not sure you've seen;  I messed up, hence the second message:  this
> conversation went private, would you like to keep it that way?]

Oh, I thought you meant to go private so I was honoring that.  I'll go back
on list with this.

> Well, for someone who owns a domain named "hardwarefreak.com" I'd have
> hoped you could understand why I'd want all I can get from my hardware
> ;-).

The hardwarefreaks have an NFS/CIFS file server for data and an IMAP server
for mail, so it's easier deciding on the disk layout for a workstation,
basically /boot and /. ;)

> Many points I enumerated were about performance optimization,
> others are often said to be important even for a workstation.  I know no
> kitten will be murdered if I don't take the time to think about all
> this, but since I have it, and that apparently it's interesting to at
> least one other person, well, why not try to learn something today.

No argument there.

>> Why do you need to be resizing volumes?
>
> I.. just need it.  My /usr/local might vary from 20 to 60, maybe 80
> gigs, for example, and I'd like that space to be available for other
> things when it's not used there.

Given the requirements you've stated, I think your best option would be

100 MB         EXT2  /boot
remaining GBs  XFS   /

Use LILO instead of grub(2), and stick the boot loader on the MBR.  The
/boot partition isn't absolutely necessary, but it provides a small amount
of additional safety and system compatibility from a boot perspective.

XFS was specifically designed for excellent performance on gigantic volumes.
 It won't break a sweat with a 1-2TB filesystem.  A 10TB filesystem is a
small snack for XFS; a 500TB filesystem would be lunch; a Petabyte
filesystem might be dinner.  Maximum individual file size is 8 Exabytes and
maximum filesystem size is 16 Exabytes.

Go with a single big XFS root filesystem and you'll never have to worry
about jockeying stuff around and resizing partitions.  You won't have to
worry about performance either.

--
Stan