Screen shifted to left for console and X for Acer AL2016W

I have a new computer with an Intel DH55TC Motherboard. Attempts to install the i386 stable distribution failed because the installer could not find the DVD reader. I was able to install i386 testing. I have an Acer AL2106W monitor with a length/width of 1.6. When I boot the system, KDE and the _console_ are not centered on the monitor. They are too large in the vertical direction by about 1/2 cm (1/3 in). The display is shifted to the left by about 6 cm (2.5 in) so the left part of the screen in invisible and there is a black area on the right. The fonts are poor. If I create a Xorg.conf with the largest mode being 1280x1024 instead of 1680x1050, X works but the screen is stretched.

Google shows that many people have had X configuration problems with this monitor. But I am also having the same problem with the console. Where is the best place to find real expertise about this problem?