Recovered!! (was Re: Anyone Care to Critique my Apt Preferences? (was Re: apt-cacher as package rollback buffer))

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 11:01:44PM +0900, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> Hi,

> > > This squeeze testing cycle has been rough because of major transitions.
> > > My recent upgrade in one of the multiboot setup from stable to unstable
> > > caused unbootable system.
> > >

> > Yep. I've never lost a file-system in 7 years of Debian until the
> > xserver-xorg/mesa upgrade.
>
> Wait... you did not loose file system.  I am writig from ex-unbootable
> system :-)  This is typical unstable situation.  Data are there.  Just a
> broken boot system.
>
> You just need to boot system with another partition or from live CD and
> chroot into unbootable system after fixing obvious problem like broken
> /etc/resolv.conf.  Then update system with good deb via aptitude in chroot.
>
> I have had several broken grub/lilo previously, too.  These are easyones
> to fix.

Sorry! Delayed by illness.

Maybe I used the term unbootable too loosely.

Following the big xserver-org/mesa seg-fault/crash I was at grub playing
space invaders.

1.) I could reach the diversion to maintenance mode where it recommended
running e2fsck on mounted partitions, which I eventually did, reluctantly.

2.) On restart I got up and running with errors flying everywhere, missing
files and directories and frequent process failures.

3.) I shutdown (hard) and ran e2fsck from gparted live cd on all partitions,
unmounted--about 15 minutes of fixing inodes, files and directories.

4.) On subsequent boot I could only reach a prompt that asked for a run
level, to which it would reply that there are no processes left in that run
level.

<!--But you inspired me to plug in Knoppix and and have another look.-->

5.) After about 20 minutes it dawned on me that there was no /etc directory!

=8-O

6.) After restoring from a fairly close backup it is running quite well with
some minor glitches that will require maybe reinstalls at worst.

It seems as if the major problem throughout was the degredation, then loss,
of the /etc directory.

Thanks!

--
Kind Regards,