Re: Two Lenny problems

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 01:54:34 -0500 (EST), Cecil Knutson wrote:

> Stephen,
> Excuse me, I did not complete the assignment last time, alsa-utils and
> cdtool are both installed.  They are shown in Synaptic as being installed
> and, when I issued the dpkg-query command for them, they were identified
> just as was alsa-base.  I didn't realize that separate commands were
> needed, so it looked like alsa-utils was not installed.

OK, good.

> No, there are no audio jacks on the system other than those on the sound
> adapter card.  The card is connected to the front headphone jack by an
> internal cable, which is the only other audio jack on the system.

Strange.  This Intel chip appears to be a full-function audio chip.
But with no way to get data into or out of it, it's useless.

> The adapter card was with the system when I got it.  I did not get this
> system new, but from a recycling service, so I don't know what was
> originally packaged with the system.  FYI: there are four jacks on the card:
> mic/digital-out (blue), out 1 (green), out 2 (black), out 3 (yellow).

OK

> I can remove the heat-sink of the unidentified chip, wipe off the
> conductive cream and see if it is a sound chip, if you so desire, although
> I have seen many systems come through the recycling service and not one
> had a sound chip with a heat-sink on it.  Since the unit is identified in
> lspci as an 82801 family and that is the number of the chipset, it makes
> sense that it is integrated into the chipset, but I don't know for sure.
> I'll see if I can find out at the Intel site if the 82801 family
> integrates sound into the chipset.  Yes, it does: Intel HD audio
> Technology and Intel AC97 Technology.

No, don't remove the heat sink.
So they integrated a sound chip into the chipset but then didn't provide
any way to access it.  Very strange.  What a waste.

> So, why didn't setting all the
> "Devices" categories in the Sound Preferences dialog window to "CA0106"
> work?  I tried that along with setting them all to Alsa, Autodetect, and
> ICH958.

Again, you've got to walk before you can run.  I know you want to get
sound working on the desktop.  That's your ultimate goal.  But first
we have to get sound working at all.  Let's concentrate on that.

> Hmmm. Now there is no ICH958 choice in the various device
> selections.  What do you think?

That's because you blacklisted the driver for it.  That's good.

> I also noted that there are four "CA0106"
> choices in Sound Events, Music and Movies, and Sound Playback, does it
> matter which of the four is chosen?

Walk first, then run.  Never mind the desktop for right now.

Did you install the firmware package that I suggested in another post?

Make sure that alsa-firmware-loaders is installed.  This is in "contrib";
so make sure that non-free and contrib are listed in your
/etc/apt/sources.list file.  See http://www.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/Kernel.htm
for a sample /etc/apt/sources.list file.  It's at the end of "Step 1".
Then run

   aptitude update
   aptitude install alsa-firmware-loaders

Then shutdown and reboot.  Then run

   dpkg-reconfigure alsa-base
   dpkg-reconfigure alsa-utils

Then shutdown and reboot again.

Then run alsamixer and check out the column names to see if PCM has shown up.
(All these commands except alsamixer must be run as root.)