Re: debian/testing systems stopped to boot after upgrade between 20.02 and 22.02

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 10:23:51 +0100 Sjoerd Hardeman
<sjoerd@lorentz.leidenuniv.nl> shared this with us all:

>Charlie schreef:
>> On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 08:48:31 +0100 wzab <wzab@ise.pw.edu.pl> shared
>> this with us all:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have two different debian/testing systems. The common feature is
>>> the Intel graphics chipset.
>>> Both of them stopped to boot after upgrade which I performed between
>>> 20.02 and 22.02 (the last successful boot log is from the 20.02).
>>> After this time the screen gets black during boot and machine
>>> doesn't respond any more.
>>>
>>> What's interesting - on one machine the 2.6.32 kernel boots
>>> correctly, but the 2.6.32.8 doesn't (I attach configuration of both
>>> kernels)
>>>
>>> It seems, that the problem may be associated with the changes to
>>> xorg server?
>No, else it would not be blank during boot
> >
>> My problem, or what I thought was a problem, as well. I have posted
>> about it here but I think this may be the new way that Debian wants
>> users to get to the login prompt?
>>
>> The screen remains blank, but the machine is actually working, and
>> though you can see nothing it will take you to the login prompt. Just
>> watch the flickering light on the computer, when it stops I do this:
>>
>> * type in the user name - then password, waiting a moment between
>>   because I often type it too quickly before the login has registered
>>   the user name and switched to password
>> * then type in startx
>> * You'll see your whole screen go from completely black without
>> anything to a shade of dark grey without anything, and then, in my
>> case at least, my ~/.xsession script cuts in, and xstarts
>This sound like a wrong video mode for the console. Disable all splash
>screens, and remove lines like "vga=xxx", "vesafb=xxx" from the kernel
>options and modesetting lines from /etc/default/grub.conf, then
>rebuild and reinstall grub. This should give you a plain 80x25
>character console. When this works you can try to enable the higher
>resolution video modes again.
>That x still works is because x uses different video settings.
>
>Sjoerd

Thank you Sjoerd,

That did the trick removing <vga=788> Your help is much appreciated.

Thank you,
Charlie
--
Registered Linux User:- 329524

Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and
without desire. The reality of your own nature should determine the
speed. If you become restless, speed up. If you become winded, slow
down. You climb the mountain in an equilibrium between restlessness and
exhaustion. Then, when you're no longer thinking ahead, each footstep
isn't just a means to an end but a unique event in itself. .....Robert
Pirsig