support for experimental? (was: Re: annoying 4gb seg fixup)

On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 07:06:33AM -0600, John Hasler wrote:
> Chris writes:
> > experimental is unsupported on this list.
>
> That isn't true, though there may be few (if any) other people here
> using any given package therefrom.

Please correct me as you see fit.

AIUI, the experimental distribution is more of a staging area for
packages which are too unstable even for unstable. It can also be a
place where a developer may upload a package to get feedback from
interested testers. So, unless the developer reads this list then
unfortunately the message will probably be lost.

I would guess a discussion through a bug report or with the maintainer
would be more appropriate.

It seems like having "support" and "experimental" in the same sentence
could be seen as an oxymoron?

I wouldn't reccommend that its ok to mix experimental, etc. willy nilly,
and then expect to get help when it all goes belly up.

--
Chris.