Re: Graphics Diag Query

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 13:51:09 -0500 (EST)
Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 13:06:41 -0500 (EST), Jack Schneider wrote:
> >
> > Hi, All
> > Does any one know of a diagnostic tool to pin down a smeared LCD
> > screen? I have an old laptop i386, running lenny, up2date,
> > 2.6.26-2-486 kernel, which I want to take the load as a
> > parallel-port printer host. It runs a Neomagic NM2093 video chip. I
> > have checked the LCD display with lcdtest and all's well.  It seems
> > to display B/W terms at full screen, OK.
> > I have googled 'till I get running in circles.
> >
> > I am thinking about removing "color" from the display, pointers on
> > if/how to do that would be appreciated.
>
> I am a native speaker of English, but I haven't a clue what you're
> asking.  What exactly do you mean by "pin down"?  What do you mean
> by "smeared"?  (I assume you *don't* mean that your child smeared his
> peanut butter and jelly sandwich all over it, but I don't know what
> you *do* mean.)  And if you're only
> using it as a print server anyway, who cares?  Would you be so kind
> as to explain in less techno-slang terms exactly what the problem is
> and exactly what you are trying to accomplish.  I have an old laptop
> too, with an LCD screen and a neomagic 2160 chipset.  So I'm familiar
> with the hardware.  But I still have no clue what you are talking
> about.

Stephen, thanks for the reply...8-)
I want to find out if the color distortions (smears on left side of
images) I see on the LCD are due to a faulty LCD or faulty graphics
chip.  I want to know if there is a diagnostic to help figure that out.
I want to place a message/s in the screen (legible) what jobs are
pending/finished as appropriate.

Thanks, Jack
ps sometimes it appears that peanut butter was smeared... red-blue-
green-pink-violet....  peanut butter  etc