Re: how to convince that debian is one the three major choices for a stable server environment?

The patches are released. The way that it works is that when you
`emerge` your kernel sources the package manager downloads the
sources, untars to /usr/src/, and automatically applies the patches
provided by the Gentoo kernel team. AFAIK, Gentoo does not patch older
kernel versions when a new one has been marked stable in Portage
(which is quite often).

With this, you could acquire the patch used for a newer version and
apply it to your existing sources, but my point was this is a lot of
manual work that is unnecessary in distributions such as Debian.