dell perc 5 i sas pci-e 8x issues and POST beep codes

I have tried the two different dell perc 5i cards in three different machines now. One HP with a core 2 duo, an HP with a socket am2 amd, and another HP with a p4 ht 3ghz machine.  I do have a ht 3ghz p4 dell, but I'd rather not use it with that pc.  I prefer to use one of these in the socket am2 amd machine, as that's already purposed as my surver running LVM across 4 physical disks, eventually to migrate the majority of this to hardware raid5.  I don't recall the beep codes I was getting, but the server was too important to fiddle around with it for more than an hour or so.  That's why I started trying other machines.

I've tried it with the battery installed, and without.
I've tried it with the memory installed, and without.
I've tried it with the sas to 4x sata cables plugged into drives, and without.
I tried a pci video card just to see if the 16x pci-e slot was claimed by the onboard video, and can't use both at the same time etc.
I've messed around with various bios settings, using defaults and setting as few properties as neccessary etc...

Any thoughts? I'm open to your suggestions.  Thanks!

Scott.