Re: Intel Atom Processor

On 2010-02-16 09:52:06 -0600, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> As a bonus, due to various architectural reasons I won't delve into,
> 32bit binaries will usually run slightly faster than the 64 bit
> cousins, and they'll take up a little bit less disk space.

No, this depends on the application (and "usually" doesn't mean very
much because applications will depend on what the machine is used
for). And some people would completely disagree with you, e.g.:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu_32_pae&num=1

There's another point is favor of amd64: floating-point arithmetic.
As SSE is used by default on amd64, FP arithmetic is much cleaner
there in practice.