Re: vmlinuz-2.6.32-trunk-686

> Subject: vmlinuz-2.6.32-trunk-686
> Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 12:05:45 +1100 (EST)
>
> the kernel image listed above was added to my system
> (testing on an ibm thinkpad) during a recent dist-upgrade.
>
> it runs through all the regular boot messages but then refuses
> to bring up the log-in screen. the boot loh does not indicate
> anything unusual.
>
> this isn't a major issue as the system boots and runs as it should
> with the previous kernel image, vmlinuz-2.6.30-686.
>
> has anyone else experienced this?

  Yes, but under VirtualBox ....

  That is, attempts to boot with 2.6.32.trunk.686
  also fail using Debian as a guest os and never
  reach the logon prompt ....

  However, I do receive an error message ....

    Bug :  Soft lockup.  CPU0 stuck for 61s.  modprobe xx.

    where the modprobe xx number seems to vary
    with different boot attempts ....

  This occurs for me on two different machines
  with two different host operating systems ....

    o  host :  Debian 5.04 Lenny
      guest :  Debian 5 Sid

    o  host :  Windows Vista Home Premium
      guest :  Debian 5 Squeeze

  In both cases above I installed the guest os
  beginning with Debian Lenny and then upgraded
  one to Squeeze and the other to Squeeze and
  then to Sid ....

  In both cases booting with earlier version kernels
  is not problematic ....

  Google-ization also shows that the  CPU0 stuck  problem
  has occured with distributions other than Debian as well
  but I've never found a fix ....

  These are only experimental Debian installs for me
  so I'm not in a particular hurry to find a solution
  to the problem ....

  The major side-effect is that VirtualBox Guest Additions
  will install only for the latest installed kernel ....

--
Stanley C. Kitching
Human Being