Re: portable Debian

On 2/15/2010 10:36 AM, Stefan Monnier wrote:

Some "live" distributions have "USB environments" (I call them) which allow
you to create a bootable image complete with a good-sized /home/ space for
data on a USB thumb drive.  An example is Knoppix
(http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/), which has a utility just for that
purpose.  Knoppix is basically Debian; it is binary compatible.  It uses the
LXDE environment, which is KDE 3, but with GTK instead of Qt.

The problem with most (all?) of them is that they're based on the idea
of a read-only partition plus a separate partition that will hold
the changes.

In many cases, this is perfectly fine, but I hate re-installing so
I want to be able to keep updating my "Debian Live" via "aptitude
upgrade" for the foreseeable future (say 10 years).

Knoppix does something like this, yes, but I have updated it and installed to it, and the changes were persistent. I don't recall any problem during the era that I used it (though there were other issues; nothing is free.) At any rate, a 16 GB USB flash drive is less than US$40.00 and that is enough space even for a swap partition, should one be required. Whether you use a "live" distribution or roll your own, it should be possible to do what OP wants to do without too much fuss.

Mark Allums