Re: Alt+F7 fails to switch to graphical console (X server) from a text console under some conditions

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 07:15:20 -0500 (EST), Florian Kulzer wrote:
> I think the present problem, which I can still reproduce on my Sid system,
> is not related to #348033.
>
> I find that VT7 often cannot be deallocated after X shuts down, which
> explains why X has to use VT8 if started up again:
>
> # deallocvt 7
> VT_DISALLOCATE: Device or resource busy
> deallocvt: could not deallocate console 7
>
> Killing console-kit-daemon makes VT7 available again for me in this
> situation, and X starts normally after that. I have not bothered to
> investigate this issue any further.

Well, Florian, after today's upgrade I am now where you are with Sid.
The X server is on vt7, I logout of the GNOME desktop, and X restarts
on vt8.  I switch to a text console, issue "deallocvt 7", and it fails.
I kill console-kit-daemon, then "deallocvt 7" is successful.  Another
logout from the GNOME desktop and the X server starts up on vt7.
(console-kit-daemon restarts as soon as I switch back to the X console).