Re: Alt+F7 fails to switch to graphical console (X server) from a text console under some conditions

On Mon, Feb 08, 2010 at 20:32:44 -0500, Stephen Powell wrote:

[...]

> I was able to reproduce the symptoms that you describe above when I first
> arrived home.  I verified that the X server was running on vt 7, then
> did a logout.  The login screen started on vt 8.  From then on, no matter
> what I did to stop and restart the server, it ended up on vt 8.  There
> were some pending updates; so I applied updates, shutdown, and rebooted.
> But now I can no longer (at least for now) reproduce the problem.
> No matter how I shutdown and restart the server, it ends up on vt 7,
> which is of course the desired behavior.
>
> Does that mean it's fixed?  Maybe.  Then again, maybe not.  I found
> the following bug report:
>
>    http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=348033

I think the present problem, which I can still reproduce on my Sid system,
is not related to #348033.

I find that VT7 often cannot be deallocated after X shuts down, which
explains why X has to use VT8 if started up again:

# deallocvt 7
VT_DISALLOCATE: Device or resource busy
deallocvt: could not deallocate console 7

Killing console-kit-daemon makes VT7 available again for me in this
situation, and X starts normally after that. I have not bothered to
investigate this issue any further.

--
Regards,            |
          Florian   |