Re: kernel update

Stephen Powell put forth on 2/14/2010 8:50 PM:
> On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 20:53:11 -0500 (EST), Jim Pazarena wrote:
>>
>> is there a CLI command (or commands) which can update
>> the kernel, similar to apt-get ?
>
> I'm not sure what you're asking.  The kernel is just another package, as far
> as the package management system is concerned.  It is updated the same way
> all packages are:
>
>    aptitude update
>    aptitude full-ugrade
>
> This of course assumes that you have internet and security sources defined
> in /etc/apt/sources.list.  (And, for the stable release, the volatile
> source as well.)

It also assumes, I believe, that you're running a stock kernel.  If you're
running a custom kernel compiled from source, I don't believe aptitude upgrades
will replace your kernel.  They've never replaced my kernels anyway, including
distribution upgrades.

--
Stan