Re: Debian way to compile your own version of a package

On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 18:35:06 -0500, Frank McCormick wrote:

>> I would like to recompile Vim with a specific patch, and I'd like to
>> know what's the recommended way to do so in a Debian system. Should it
>> be kept separate - like in /usr/local - or should I create a .deb
>> package with a special version name and replace the official one?
>

>   What I have done when I needed something that wasn't available is to
> compile and do the install with checkinstall. . .

Check out

The Debian GNU/Linux FAQ
Chapter 7 - Basics of the Debian package management system
http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-pkg_basics.en.html

especially,

7.14 How do I build binary packages from a source package?

The

 dch -l local 'Blah blah blah'

will help you create a .deb package with a special version name and
replace the official one.

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
  http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/