Re: Alt+F7 fails to switch to graphical console (X server) from a text console under some conditions

On Mon, Feb 08, 2010 at 10:13:48AM -0500, Stephen Powell wrote:

> /var/log/Xorg.0.log tells you what console it started on, and the flags
> indicate that the option is supplied on the command line.  For example,
>
>    Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
>             (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
>             (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
>    (++) using VT number 7
>
> The double plus sign is the marker for "from command line".  So if you
> find the script that starts the X server and supplies that command line
> option, you'll be well on your way to finding the bug.  The next step
> will be to find the logic that "calculates" this command line switch.
> And if you find the faulty logic you'll know which package to report a
> bug against.  (i.e. which package is this script file shipped with?)
> And you'll even be able to supply a patch file with the bug report.
> I'll start looking too, but I won't have access to that machine until
> this evening.  Maybe a good place to start looking would be
> /etc/init.d/gdm.

Looking at /usr/share/gdm/defaults.conf, VT7 appears to be a coded-in
default on Linux systems.

# Automatic VT allocation.  Right now only works on Linux.  This way we
# force
# X to use specific vts.  Turn VTAllocation to false if this is causing
# problems.
#FirstVT=7
#VTAllocation=true

The commented option lines are showing their default values. It might be
worth setting VTAllocation=false (in /etc/gdm/gdm.conf, [daemon]
section) and see if that has any effect.

Hmm, from a gdm session logged in on tty7, logging out restarts X but on
tty8. Logging out of that session also restarts X, but it stays on tty8.
Restarting, or stopping and starting, gdm brings it back up still on
tty8. This behaviour doesn't seem to be altered by the VTAllocation
setting. According to Xorg.0.log, VT8 is being passed in from the
command line.

Cheers,
Tom

--
Airplanes are interesting toys but of no military value.
	-- Marechal Ferdinand Foch, Professor of Strategy,