Re: Suggestions for VoIP software on lenny please

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 12:58:55AM +0000, George wrote:
> On 2/11/10, Rob Owens <rowens@ptd.net> wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 02:35:38PM +0000, George wrote:
> >> I'm away from home right now and need VoIP to communicate with my
> >> loved ones. Skype works, but it's a CPU hog, has an awful GUI, it
> >> messes up with the soundcard, it's extremely buggy and thus a pain to
> >> use. I've tried Gizmo, which sorta works but it's unusable because the
> >> sound is horrible, to the point that you can't tell whether there's a
> >> human or a malfunctioning robot at the other end. Linphone and Ekiga
> >> don't work at all.
> >>
> > I use Ekiga on Debian Lenny 64- and 32-bit, and Ubuntu 8.04 32-bit.
> > What exactly is the problem you're having with it?
> >

> I'm trying to call someone who's on Windows. My call appears to reach
> but there's no sound going across. I can hear nothing, they can hear
> nothing.

In my (limited) experience, that's typically a problem with NAT and/or
STUN.  Pay close attention to what the configuration druid says about
it.  You can re-run the configuration druid by clicking "edit",
"configuration druid".

If my understanding is correct, this is a potential problem with any SIP
client.

Also, Ekiga's STUN server was down recently.  Maybe about a week ago,
and it lasted about a day.  You can search the internet for the mailing
list archives -- it's in there.

-Rob