Suggestions for VoIP software on lenny please

I'm away from home right now and need VoIP to communicate with my
loved ones. Skype works, but it's a CPU hog, has an awful GUI, it
messes up with the soundcard, it's extremely buggy and thus a pain to
use. I've tried Gizmo, which sorta works but it's unusable because the
sound is horrible, to the point that you can't tell whether there's a
human or a malfunctioning robot at the other end. Linphone and Ekiga
don't work at all.

So at the moment I'm stuck with Skype, and I really don't like it. Any
suggestions would be welcome.