RE: Looking for: A quick how to make a deb from a (kernel) rpm

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 14:24:06 -0500 (EST), Mike Viau wrote:

> Very fair question.
>
> I need the xen patches that are incorperated in the kernel.
....+....1....+....2....+....3....+....4....+....5....+....6....+....7....+....8

> (ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/projects/kernel/kotd/master/x86_64/kernel-xen.rpm)
>
> I also happen to know the kernel is more recent then my 2.6.26-2-amd64 kernel
> in Debian Lenny.
>
> I am aware that I will be giving up the Debian specific patches applied to
> the kernel. I quess I just hope to not run into issue there.
> If the kernel.org kernels can work with Debian I don't see a reason why the
> SUSE kernel can not work with a Debian system either.
>
> I would like the ability to use the ext4 filesystem as well as better
> hardware support/modules for the e1000e network driver and lastly for better
> SATA/RAID support.

A few logistical items first:

1. Please don't "top post" but rather use the usenet ("bottom post") style of
quoting.  See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top-posting#Top-posting for
more information.

2. Please try to keep your source lines to under 80 columns.

OK, there are two main issues here.  First, why am I trying to discourage you
from using alien (or some other similar tool) to import a foreign package
into Debian?  For that I refer you to the Debian FAQ:

http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-compat.en.html#s-otherpackages

The second issue.  If you need a newer kernel than the 2.6.26 kernel used
by the stable release (Lenny), there are a couple of options.

If you are satisfied with the stable system except for the kernel, and want
a newer kernel, I suggest you try a newer kernel from
http://www.backports.org
Currently, there are 2.6.29 and 2.6.30 kernels available in backports.

If you want all the packages on your system at a newer level, you might
consider the testing (Squeeze) system.  It currently has 2.6.30 and
2.6.32 kernels.  But all the packages, not just the kernel, are newer.
We don't recommend this release for production use, but if you must
use hardware that is not supported by the stable release, sometimes this
is your only option.

If you want to live really dangerously, and run the latest bleeding edge
code, you might try the unstable (Sid) release.  Be prepared for things
to break.

Debian has always been a "trailing edge" distribution as far as its stable
release is concerned.  We are more oriented towards stability and
reliability than we are with including the latest new thing as soon
as possible.  If you want to run Debian and you want the latest new
thing, you're going to need to go with the testing or even unstable,
in some cases.  But beware.  testing and unstable are called that for
a reason.