Re: Looking for: A quick how to make a deb from a (kernel) rpm

Mike Viau put forth on 2/8/2010 1:24 PM:

> If the kernel.org kernels can work with Debian I don't see a reason why the SUSE kernel can not work with a Debian system either.

I do.  The files available from kernel.org are source, not binary.  They are
vanilla.  Properly configured and built, a kernel.org kernel will work with any
distro atop.  The SuSE kernel you want is a binary, built specifically for the
SuSE distribution.  If it's anything like the SLES/SLED kernels, it includes
every Linux module, the kitchen sink, and the entire kitchen as well.

> I would like the ability to use the ext4 filesystem as well as better hardware support/modules for the e1000e network driver and lastly for better SATA/RAID support.

XFS is better than ext4, esp for virtualization.  e1000 and RAID/SATA support
are menuconfig check boxes, as are all the features you want.

You are a prime candidate for building your own kernel, based on requirements.
But, maybe you aren't technically up to the task?

I'm currently running kernel.org 2.6.31.1 (i686), Lenny on top, with

SMP
EXT2/3
XFS
megaraid
libata, sata_sil
PIIX_IDE
e100
netfilter
etc

not as modules, all built into the kernel, no initrd, and it's small and fast:

-rw-r--r--  1 root root 1.5M Jan 15 04:06 vmlinuz-2.6.31.1

Maybe it's too easy for me to say "build your own kernel, it's easy."  I've been
doing my own kernels since around 2002, so I've had some practice.  And I did
make mistakes along the way.  Good learning experiences, all.

--
Stan