Re: eth0 - eth1 confusion vs. local network

Frank Miles put forth on 2/8/2010 10:32 AM:
> Thanks so much to Stan, Tom H, and Cameleon!
>
> It seems that the consensus is that it's a NIC problem.  In case
> it wasn't previously clear, the RealTek 8169 is part of the Gigabyte
> motherboard.
>
> I thought that I'd escaped non-free-firmware hell by getting a MB
> with the graphics based on an Intel chip.  Never had a problem before,
> but then I usually stand far back from the bleeding edge.
>
> Stan, like you I usually use my own-build kernels.  But I'd had
> problems getting my own kernels to run with full graphics
> capabilities, so had fallen back on the Debian 2.6.32-trunk.
>
> What I'm going to be doing in the short term is turning the
> RealTek off (BIOS setting), and installing another NIC.  I should
> be able to get things running this way.  I will post again once
> I've done this.  Longer term, I'll try to get the RealTek running. All
> this flailing about has put me behind on other things, so that
> may not be right away.
>
> Thanks again to you all... it's been real educational.

You're welcome Frank.  I'm sure the Debian kernel team with get the 8169
driver/firmware issue worked out within a point release or two.

Worth a look:
http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-kernel/283643-2-6-32-experimental.html
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833180026
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106123