Re: eth0 - eth1 confusion vs. local network

Thanks so much to Stan, Tom H, and Cameleon!

It seems that the consensus is that it's a NIC problem.  In case
it wasn't previously clear, the RealTek 8169 is part of the Gigabyte
motherboard.

I thought that I'd escaped non-free-firmware hell by getting a MB
with the graphics based on an Intel chip.  Never had a problem before,
but then I usually stand far back from the bleeding edge.

Stan, like you I usually use my own-build kernels.  But I'd had
problems getting my own kernels to run with full graphics
capabilities, so had fallen back on the Debian 2.6.32-trunk.

What I'm going to be doing in the short term is turning the
RealTek off (BIOS setting), and installing another NIC.  I should
be able to get things running this way.  I will post again once
I've done this. Longer term, I'll try to get the RealTek running. All this flailing about has put me behind on other things, so that
may not be right away.

Thanks again to you all... it's been real educational.

    -Frank