Re: No Umlauts on console with Kernel 2.6.26

On 2010-02-07 13:57 +0100, Til Schubbe wrote:

> Now the umlaut-keys generate the right characters. But for all users
> 'ls -6' tells:
>
> ls: Ungültige Option -- 6
> .ls --help.  gibt weitere Informationen.
>
> with the 1st + the 2nd dot being a square. Copying, pasting with gpm
> + piping this square through 'hex' it seems to consist of 3
> characters: 'e2 96 a0'.

They are the German quotation marks, „ and “.  The stock font used by
the Linux kernel has no glyphs for these, which is why we use the reversed
Guillemets » and « in the German Debian translation team.  Unfortunately
the coreutils translator, Michael Piefel, insists on the other quotation
marks.

If you want to display these and many other characters, install the
console-setup package and pick the VGA font in its configuration dialog,
for instance.  This is what I do.

Sven