Re: No Umlauts on console with Kernel 2.6.26

On 2010-02-06 Sven wrote:

> What does the 'locale' command print?

Now...

$ locale
LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_PAPER="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

$ echo $Language
de_DE.UTF-8

> Which version of libfreetype6 do you have installed,

I realized that some years ago I compiled a libfreetype6 which
resided in /usr/local/lib/... I moved it away and
/usr/bin/utf8migrationtool ran fine. But the umlauts still don't
work correctly:

After logging out and in again, pushing an umlaut-key the first time
does nothing. Pushing a 2nd key displays the umlaut (!) and pushing a
3rd key displays the 2nd + the 3rd key!

Errormessages and texts are displayed in a weired way: The ls-command
called with an illegal option says: "UngA.ltige Option" with the dot
being a 1/4-sign. And the editor 'joe' tells in it's status line that
the file has been "GeÃ#ndert" (3rd char: capital A with tilde, 4th
char: Euro-sign).

Regards
Til