Re: No Umlauts on console with Kernel 2.6.26

On 2010-02-07 Sven wrote:

> You should also change the system locale.  Please check
> /etc/enviroment and /etc/default/locale and run 'dpkg-reconfigure
> locales' if necessary.

$ cat /etc/enviroment |egrep -v ^#
LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
$ cat /etc/default/locale |egrep -v ^#
LANG=de_DE.UTF-8

And then I ran 'dpkg-reconfigure locales'.

> So the programs output UTF-8, but your terminal is not ready for
> that. Try to run 'unicode_start' and see if that helps.

After switching on the computer today, for all users it says:

$ unicode_start
unicode_start: Already in UTF8 mode

> The reason you need to set up a UTF-8 system locale is that
> console-tools' init script checks for it and puts the terminal in
> Unicode or ASCII mode depending on the value.

Now the umlaut-keys generate the right characters. But for all users
'ls -6' tells:

ls: Ungültige Option -- 6
.ls --help.  gibt weitere Informationen.

with the 1st + the 2nd dot being a square. Copying, pasting with gpm
+ piping this square through 'hex' it seems to consist of 3
characters: 'e2 96 a0'.

Regards
Til