Re: A tool for auto amplifying of wav/flac files.

On Feb 7, 2010, at 6:20 AM, Sthu Deus wrote:

>> Before you go trying tools it may be useful to ask your self what you
>> are trying to accomplish.  As others have pointed out in a similar
>> thread the term db is a ratio.
>
> Not correct.

Yes it is. Citation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decibel

I think this thread may have drifted a bit OT, but if you want to understand the decibel, read the whole thing. Decibels are a very useful way of measuring things, but they're always a measurement relative to something else (0xffff, 1 milliwatt, threshold of hearing, .775 volts, "10db below 3% harmonic distortion caused by the onset of tape saturation" (my favorite), 100% modulation of a radio transmission carrier, etc.).

--
Glenn English
ghe@slsware.com