Re: What does "Stale NFS file handle" mean?

Greetings,

On Sun, Feb 07, 2010 at 10:07:41AM -0500, Michael Yang wrote:

> When I list files under my $HOME, I found following two files that can not
> be accessed:
>
> ls: cannot access .xsession-errors: Stale NFS file handle
> ls: cannot access .Xauthority: Stale NFS file handle
> total 2384
> -?????????   ? ?       ?            ?                ? .xsession-errors
> -?????????   ? ?       ?            ?                ? .Xauthority
>
> [skip]
>
> Anyone can help me with this?

I googled for this issue, and found this[1]:

 A filehandle becomes stale whenever the file or directory referenced by
 the handle is removed by another host, while your client still holds an
 active reference to the object. A typical example occurs when the
 current directory of a process, running on your client, is removed on
 the server (either by a process running on the server or on another
 client).

 So this can occur if the directory is modified on the NFS server, but
 the directories modification time is not updated.

 How do I fix this problem?

 * The best solution is to remount directory from the NFS client
 * Or try to mount NFS directory with the noac option. However I don't
   recommend using noac option because of performance issue and Checking
   files on NFS filesystem referenced by file descriptors (i.e. the
   fcntl and ioctl families of functions) may lead to inconsistent
   result due to the lack of consistency check in kernel even if noac is
   used.

[1] http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/nfs-stale-file-handle-error-and-solution.html

--
Happy hacking, Sergey Matveev
FSF Associate member #5968 | FSFE Fellow #1390