Re: auto-mounting disks that might not be present (e.g. usb drives)

On Fri, 05 Feb 2010 00:01:17 +1030, Arthur Marsh wrote:

> Camaleón wrote, on 04/02/10 03:05:

>>> I would also like the machine to boot fully if it is started without
>>> the USB flash drive present.
>>
>> That should not happen at all (if the disk is not present it should log
>> a warn, but the system should keep loading). It can be a bug.
>
> The response I received to
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=568200 suggest that the
> responder thinks that running fsck on a non-existent device is the
> proper behaviour /-:.

I've also found some "opposition" from developers while reporting bugs ;-)

But I still find the point valid: if a mount point defined in "fstab" is
not present at boot time, it should warn the user and log the error but
the boot process should not be stopped at all because the mount point is
not critical (i.e., is not root "/") for the system to properly start.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón