Re: auto-mounting disks that might not be present (e.g. usb drives)

On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 12:31:56 -0500, Frank McCormick wrote:

> On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 16:12:56 +0000 (UTC) Camaleón wrote:
>
>> I.e., if your USB drive is listed there and you have something like:

>> /dev/sdb1	/data/backup	ext3
>> acl,user_xattr	1	2 ^
>>
>> Then fsck will try to check that mount point, either is present or not
>> (or at least that is my understanding after reading "man fstab") :-)
>

>   That's not what happens in my case. The boot process simply gives
> an error that the device does not exist. There is no attempt to fsck the
> non-existant drive. I gather this is because the system attempts to
> mount the non-existant drive.

Uh? Didn't you say...? :-?

***
I found that initscripts seems to attempt to run fsck on
non-existent devices that appear in /etc/fstab, and different fsck
programs for different filesystem types give different error codes.
***

O.k., let's start over.

Any device or partition listed under fstab are "static" ones. If you have
defined a mount point that is not present at boot time, you will get a
warning, that is a normal behaviour.

If your USB disk is not always "on" and you want to prevent that warning,
you can use de "noauto" option but you'll have to manually mount it when
you plug it.

Another possibility is just deleting (or comment) that entry in fstab and
use the standard DE hotplug system (that will mount the unit under /media
as soon as you turn it on).

Additional info:

http://wiki.debian.org/USBDrive

Greetings,