Re: setting sensor limits fails

On Mon, 2010-02-01 at 17:22 -0500, Stephen Powell wrote:

> I don't pretend to know anything about this, but isn't there
> internal circuitry present in the machine that will automatically
> shut the machine down if it gets too hot?  I'm thinking of older
> operating systems, such as DOS for example, that generally didn't
> have any kind of sensor management software built in.  Being
> able to manage that kind of thing in an operating system is a nice
> feature, but I'm not sure if it's essential for safe operation.
> It seems to me that if the machine were designed properly it
> would have some default operating characteristics that it will fall
> back on if it is not being managed by an operating system.

You would think so wouldn't you? However, I believe it's all done in
software via System Management Mode.

I once worked on an OS which we ran on PC hardware for development
purposes, and the CPU would regularly 'disappear' off somewhere for a
millisecond or more, making it impossible for a modern PC to even keep a
bog standard 115kbit/sec serial port UART from underflowing. :-(

--
Tixy