Re: Rsyslog template

Michael Biebl put forth on 2/2/2010 2:26 AM:
> On 27.01.2010 06:21, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>> less than a fan of rsyslog after upgrading to Lenny and finding that rsyslog has
>> a virtual memory footprint of over 30MB(!) compared to only a few hundred
>> kilobytes for the old sysklogd.  Rsyslog is a $deity d@mn memory hog, and
>> there's no good reason for that.  Any syslogd should be miserly on resources.
>
> You need to be careful with those numbers. That is virtual memory, which doesn't
> tell you a lot, and is is basically due to rsyslog using modules.
> The linux linker reserves 10Mb virtual memory per dlopened  module.
> The default debian rsyslog.conf comes with 2 modules loaded = 20Mb + 10 Mb for
> the rsyslog main process = 30 Mb virtual memory.
>
> What is more interesing is the resident or writable memory.
>
> rsyslog uses 560 Kb of resident memory on my machine.

 1109 root      20   0 36220 1524 1068 S    0  0.4   1:07.17 rsyslogd

1524 on mine.  So what's the significance of the large VIRT footprint, if any?
The reason this jumped out and grabbed my attention is that rsyslog on Lenny has
the largest VIRT footprint of *any* process on my system, including all of the
postfix daemons, lighttpd, the rouundcube php-cgi process (which is a bit of a
hog), postgrey, the samba daemons, the dovecot daemons, everything.

This just seemed really strange to me.  Many of these other processes use
modules, and they don't have the huge VIRT footprint.  Or am I thinking of the
wrong kind of modules?

--
Stan