Re: Realtek r8168 problems with net installer and Intel D945GSEJT motherboard

On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 12:09:51 +0100, Jan Piet Joris en Corneel wrote:
> Dear all,
>

> For some days I've trying to install Debian Lenny 5.0.3 using an USB
> stick on an intel D945GSEJT motherboard (with Intel Atom N270
> processor, 1 GB RAM and Realtek 8111DL gigabit onboard NIC, new home
> server). I've problems with the NIC because it is not recognised by
> the installer.

[...]

> The combinations confuses me. I want to run the installer but it halts
> because it cannot recognise the NIC. If I want to install the NIC
> driver, I need a Debian system. Sounds like a chicken and egg problem
> to me.
>
> Can somebody supply me instructions to get Lenny installed on this
> board? I really want to get it up & running, Debian performed great
> for five years on my previous home server.

The first thing I would try is one of Kenshi Muto's customized debian
installer images with backported newer kernels and therefore better
support for newer hardware:

http://kmuto.jp/debian/d-i/

(I have not checked anything for your particular NIC, therefore I cannot
 say how likely it is that the d-i with the newer kernel will work.)

--
Regards,            |
          Florian   |