Re: Downgrading xorg xserver from 1.7 to 1.6

On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 10:40 AM, tv.debian@googlemail.com
<tv.debian@googlemail.com> wrote:

> A good starting point would be to look at your /var/log/Xorg.0.log for
> errors (EE) and warnings (WW). Nowadays X his supposed to handle dri or
> compositing alone, but sometime it helps to show him the way. On the
> contrary by adding to much "random" stuff to your xorg.conf you may mess
> the configuration.

Thanks! I had looked at the log but I guess I missed the error line
mentioning dri module not being loaded do to an error.

Installing the firmware-linux package fixed that.

Performance is still not optimal (window resize is still a bit slow) but
at least the workspace/application switch is much faster.

The main problem now is the excessive load on the CPU leading to quite
a bit more heating than usual, but at least I can work without the urge
to smash the keyboard :)