Re: build from source, patch does not remove cleanly

On 2010-01-30 19:33 +0100, T o n g wrote:

> I'm trying to build uswsusp from source. It builds fine with
>
>  debuild -us -uc
>
> provided that I don't change anything. But having made my modification, I
> got the following error:

> [...]
> debconf-updatepo
> dh_clean
> QUILT_PATCHES=debian/patches quilt --quiltrc /dev/null pop -a -R || test
> $? = 2
> Removing patch compress_ratio.patch
> Restoring suspend.c
>
> Patch whitelist.patch does not remove cleanly (refresh it or enforce with
> -f)

You edited a file (here whitelist.c) directly that is modified by the
patch, so that it can no longer be unapplied.  You should instead add a
new patch on top of the existing ones.

> make: *** [unpatch] Error 1
> dpkg-buildpackage: error: fakeroot debian/rules clean gave error exit
> status 2
> debuild: fatal error at line 1330:
> dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -D -us -uc failed
>
> How should I fix it?

Read /usr/share/doc/quilt/README.source for information how to work with
packages that use quilt.

BTW, the new format 3.0 (quilt) that several packages have already
adopted will solve this problem, you can then directly hack files again,
and dpkg-source will automatically create an additional patch with your
changes.

Sven