build from source, patch does not remove cleanly

Hi,

I'm trying to build uswsusp from source. It builds fine with

 debuild -us -uc

provided that I don't change anything. But having made my modification, I
got the following error:

[...]
debconf-updatepo
dh_clean
QUILT_PATCHES=debian/patches quilt --quiltrc /dev/null pop -a -R || test
$? = 2
Removing patch compress_ratio.patch
Restoring suspend.c

Patch whitelist.patch does not remove cleanly (refresh it or enforce with
-f)
make: *** [unpatch] Error 1
dpkg-buildpackage: error: fakeroot debian/rules clean gave error exit
status 2
debuild: fatal error at line 1330:
dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -D -us -uc failed

How should I fix it?

thanks

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)