How To determine the date the system & packages were installed.

I have done extensive searches and have found no answers for finding out the following information from Debian systems.

1. I would like to be able to tell when a package was installed.
2. I would also like to be able to look at (any) Debian or Debian-based system and tell when the operating system was originally installed.

If this is not possible (as I have been told thus far) that is fine. However, if there is a way it needs to work on most every Debian system and to not require special packages to have been installed.
In addition I have found that there are some systems that have log files such as /var/log/base-config.log.1 (Deb 3.1) that were created when the system was installed and even have captures of the installation
screens, but this is not uniform across Debian versions (none of my Deb 4.0 have it).

Preferably it would work with the base installation of any Debian system. I would like it to be more concrete than a file or directory listing. Given that can change for any
number of reasons.

Thanks,

Mike