Re: eth0 or eth1

On 2010-01-29 10:07:51 -0500, Stephen Powell wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 02:59:23 -0500, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> > For security reasons, it's better to run commands as
> > normal users rather than root.
>
> I tend to be pretty cavalier about that stuff.  Some people
> go to seed on trying to issue absolutely every possible
> command that doesn't require root access as a non-root user.
> But to me, that's too much work to keep everything straight.
> To me, redefining hardware interfaces is a system
> administration task.  If I'm doing system administration
> work, I become root.  And when I'm finished with system
> administration work I go back to being an ordinary user
> again.  The two things that are likely to change my habits
> are these:
[...]

However, "ifconfig -a" does not redefine hardware interfaces and
is not a system administration task. Asking a user to become root
to run this command is not a good advice.

Similarly, when one wants to build software that needs to be
installed as root, the build step can (and should) be done
as a normal user. Become root only when needed, i.e. for the
installation step.