Re: Suspend/Hibernate under Debian

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 10:11:29 +0100
Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:

> The uswsusp package does not seem to be well maintained and has
> accumulated six release critical bugs¹ which prevent it from being in
> squeeze.  What's really worrisome is that there is no visible reaction
> from the maintainer.

Hm, I had no idea.  I'm not sure why apt-listbugs didn't howl when I
upgraded to 0.8-1.2, but so far, I haven't been bitten by these bugs -
I guess that I've been lucky.

In any event, when I originally wrote 's2disk', I really meant the
in-kernel suspend-to-disk functionality, which can be invoked in
various other ways.

Moreover, in the most common use case for suspending, where a machine
will be disconnected from its external power source, it's not a great
idea to use suspend-to-ram without a working suspend-to-disk backup,
since if the internal battery drains before the external power source
is reconnected, the system will crash, with possible data loss, etc.

Celejar