Re: eth0 or eth1

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 22:37:07 -0500, Celejar wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 17:29:54 -0500, Stephen Powell wrote:
> > On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 16:27:47 -0500, Celejar wrote:
> > > No need to erase the whole file, or to shutdown / reboot (assuming the
> > > relevant driver is built as a module). As I note here, just comment out
> > > the relevant line, and then unload and reload the relevant kernel
> > > module.
> >
> > I figured there was probably a less disruptive way, but I knew that erase /
> > reboot would work, assuming only one NIC.  But since we're on the subject,
> > just what would the "relevant kernel module" be?  The device-specific
> > driver for the NIC, such as xirc2ps_cs, for example?  Or a more general
> > networking module?  What would be the exact procedure?  I'm guessing
> > something like:
> >
> > [edit rules file]
> > ifdown eth1
> > modprobe -r xirc2ps_cs
> > modprobe xirc2ps_cs
> > ifup eth0 [if needed]
>
> I'm pretty sure this is right - I've done this sort of thing with my
> wireless drivers (b43, ath5k).  The device nodes are created by the
> chipset-specific drivers, so they're the ones relevant to the udev
> system, IIUC.

Thanks, Celejar.  Tong also confirmed that it worked.  One other item in the
procedure that I neglected to mention is to edit /etc/network/interfaces
to make sure that it says eth0 instead of eth1.  Typically, it already
says eth0 and that's why things aren't working.  But if the user has
changed eth0 to eth1 in this file in order to get things working again,
it of course needs to be changed back.  That should be done somewhere
between the ifdown and the ifup commands.  I would probably do it
between the module removal and the module reload.