Re: Access Problem with pppd

On Tuesday 26 January 2010 13:30:41 Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 26. Januar 2010 schrieb lego_12239@rambler.ru:
> > On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 07:34:33PM +0100, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
> > > So far so well, but I dop not understand this: When set the binary
> > > with rwsr-x--- (root:dialout), then umtsmon should start with the
> > > rights of root and should be also allowed to start pppd! But i does
> > > clearly NOT! I get the maesage: pppd is not allowed to start, only root
> > > is allowed to start it.
> > >
> > > What do I do wrong? Where do I think wrong?

IIRC, having the stick bit set on a binary only allows the setuid() call to
succeed, it does not automatically force the elevated permissions on the
binary.  So, it's likely that utmsmom doesn't have support for getting
elevated permissions.

> >   Excuse me, what about sudo?
>
> Two things: First, I do not want to use sudo (this is Ubuntu-style, and I
>  hate Ubuntu!)

sudo predates Ubuntu by some years, if not decades.  sudo is meant to be a
more flexible su, which seems to be exactly what you need.

>  and sudo is not the way I want it to do for some reasons.

Could you please elaborate?  If you have specific, technical doubts about
using sudo as a solution, I'd be willing to investigate other avenues.

Failing that, adding something like:
%dialout = NOPASSWD: NOSETENV: /usr/bin/umtsmom
to your /etc/sudoers should be fine.

Depending on how umtsmom works, it might be possible and valuable to add
"NOEXEC:" as an additional Tag_Spec.