Re: Access Problem with pppd

Am Dienstag, 26. Januar 2010 schrieb lego_12239@rambler.ru:
> On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 07:34:33PM +0100, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am looking for a l?ttle understanding problem. Maybe someone can advice
> > me.
> >
> > On my EEEPC I am running an application called "umtsmon" (this is for
> > gprs- access). Umtsmom is a single binary located in /usr/bin.
> >
> > When I start it, it is started, and when I want to connect to the
> > internet it starts a modem connection by using pppd.
> >
> > This is fine working, when I am starting it as user "root". (I use "sux"
> > to become root from a normal user).
> >
> > When I start umtsmon as normal user, pppd is not allowed to be used by
> > this user. This is ok, I want only users in a special group use pppd.
> >
> > So far so well, but I dop not understand this: When set the binary
> > with rwsr-x--- (root:dialout), then umtsmon should start with the rights
> > of root and should be also allowed to start pppd! But i does clearly NOT!
> > I get the maesage: pppd is not allowed to start, only root is allowed to
> > start it.
> >
> > What do I do wrong? Where do I think wrong?
> >
> > BTW: maybe someone wants to adopt umtsmon and create a package.  It is
> > open- source / GPL and it is really great tool (This only remarked
> > besides)
> >
> > Thank you for any help!
> >

> > Best regards
> >
> > Hans
>
>   Excuse me, what about sudo?

Two things: First, I do not want to use sudo (this is Ubuntu-style, and I hate
Ubuntu!) and sudo is not the way I want it to do for some reasons. Second, it
is much more important for me, to understand what happens, rather than get a
solution.

A solution is already available: As I am already root on the system, I just
start it as root. :)

Greets

Hans