Re: How to shrink a LVM partition

On Monday 25 January 2010 11:02:41 vitaminx wrote:
> I've tried to shrink the PV with pvresize which didn't throw errors -

Good.

> but fdisk still shows me the same LVM partition size as before.

That's normal.  pvresize "just" updates the PV header and VG metadata.

> So I guess the partition table has to be modified somehow?

Yes.  That was mentioned in my reply: "Then shrink the partition in the
partition table."

You can use fdisk or any other partition table editor for this.  Some don't
support resizing a partition.  In that case, you can delete and create a
smaller one.  If doing the delete/create dance, you *must* create the new
partition on the same cylinder boundary as the current one to preserve the
current data.