Re: How to shrink a LVM partition

On Monday 25 January 2010 04:20:58 Johannes Wiedersich wrote:
> Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> > On Sunday 24 January 2010 11:25:19 vitaminx wrote:
> >> I'd like to shrink a LVM partition on my harddisk.
> >
> > First make sure you have enough free space in your LVs.  Then use a
> > combination of pvmove and pvresize to shrink your PE that corresponds to
> > that partition.  Then shrink the partition in the partition table.
>
> Shouldn't vitaminx first resize the underlying file system(s)???

That would be part of making sure there's enough free space on his VGs.  (I
said LVs in my message, but Johannes Wiedersich correeccted me.)

I don't allocate all my space to LVs immediately, and grow filesystems as
needed -- if the OP has been doing that, he may already have enough free space
on the VGs.

Also, the filesystems aren't "underlying" LVM.  It is vice-versa.