Re: Recommended method to install Firefox 3.6 in Lenny (64 bits)

On Friday 22 January 2010 16:28:37 Camaleón wrote:
> And went to backport lists and saw some movement on this:
>
> ***
> Accepted iceweasel 3.5.6-1~bpo50+1 (source all amd64)
> http://lists.backports.org/lurker-bpo/message/20100116.120653.e7d54ae9.en.h
> tml ***
>
> But I don't know what does it mean. This is the first time I have to deal
> with "backports" infrastructure and I dunno how to interpret those
> messages.

It's just another repository.  It isn't official, yet, but I think there was
some movement on that.  (It would be nice for backports and volatile to be
able to use the existing mirror network; I don't know many Debian users that
can go completely without them.)

The "backports" repository is completely separate from the action "to
backport" that the security team sometimes does for patches.  "To backport" a
patch is to take a patch for version X+n of a program and modify it to apply
to version X of a program.

> So, do you think the package will be available in backports for stable
> release (Lenny) or just indicates the package is being tested for another
> branch (unstable/testing)? :-?

Backports is packages from testing (and rarely unstable) that have been build
under a stable environment and should be installable without pulling any
packages from testing/unstable.  They are not part of stable, since the
upstream version wasn't available or wasn't ready at release time, however
they should "play nice" with stable.

I've occasionally pulled packages from there, but less so now.  I've been
following KDE 4.x since 4.2 entered unstable by using a mixed system.  With
testing/unstable available simply, I don't much use backports.  I did pull
down pidgin from backports recently though.

As far as iceweasel availability in backports goes, see Sven Hoexter's
message.