Re: Recommended method to install Firefox 3.6 in Lenny (64 bits)

On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 14:17:04 -0600, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:

> On Friday 22 January 2010 14:02:13 Camaleón wrote:
>> As Mozilla has stopped the support (no more security patches) for
>> Firefox releases <3.5 (in August 2010, 3.5 will also be dropped), and
>> Lenny is shipped with 3.0.6 (this situation was properly advised on
>> Releases Notes), I wonder what could be the best way to install the
>> latest Firefox 64 bits version.
>
> From what I understand, the debian-security guys will still backport
> fixes to iceweasel in Lenny as needed until security support is
> terminated for Lenny.
>
> That's how I get my "firefox".

That was my first thought, too.

And went to backport lists and saw some movement on this:

***
Accepted iceweasel 3.5.6-1~bpo50+1 (source all amd64)
http://lists.backports.org/lurker-bpo/message/20100116.120653.e7d54ae9.en.html
***

But I don't know what does it mean. This is the first time I have to deal
with "backports" infrastructure and I dunno how to interpret those
messages.

And there is also what Sven Joachim said, about Lenny policy on Mozilla
products... and that time has now come. I'm a bit confused.

So, do you think the package will be available in backports for stable
release (Lenny) or just indicates the package is being tested for another
branch (unstable/testing)? :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón